May an individual leave me a house after he deceases but stipulate who the house goes to after I pass away?

Asked on September 26, 2014 under Estate Planning, Michigan


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, it is called leaving someone a "life estate."  Rather than truly leaving you the house, he leaves you a life estate in the house.  That means you get to own the house only so long as you are alive.  After you die, the house passes to whomever is designated by the original individual in his will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.