Married overseas wife coming to USA on visit visa can duration be prolonged until Spouse visa application processes?

I am married overseas for 6 months my wife got visit visa i am coming back to USA
with her so that i can apply for spouse visa to sponsor her.
Can i apply to extend her visit stay so she can stay with me in USA while i apply
for her spouse visa?

Asked on May 30, 2017 under Immigration Law, Pennsylvania


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

She is not going to be permitted to enter the US if she plans to do that in order to apply for a spouse visa.  That is not a permissible reason for entry to the US on a visitors visa.  It is possible to do it but you really should consult with an attorney to make sure you understand the issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.