Married In the process of purchasing a home without my husband. What are the ramifications if we divorce after I purchase the home.

I, the wife will be purchasing a home for my family in my name only next year 2019. My husband is not financially able to do so. In the event we divorce, how can I protect the home I’m about to purchase without him trying to come after the home in the event of a divorce to where I have to sale it.

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Family Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You really can't effectively protect it from him: anything acquired during marriage is something that the other spouse may have an interest in in the event of a divorce. The law makes anything acquired during marriage (with some very narrow exceptions: e.g. something inherited by only one spouse; something gifted by a 3rd party to only one spouse) marital property which both spouses have an interest in if and when there is a divorce. (After all, if you didn't buy the home, your husband would have a claim on the money in your bank account which you otherwise would have used for the house.) If you are contemplating divorce or think divorce a reasonably likely outcome, you may wish to rent instead.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.