Marriage to a non U.S. citizen

My fiance is a Bahamian citizen. We
would like to get marry in both places
Our desire is for him to live in the
USA Although I travel to the Bahamas
all the time, he will make his first
visit in less than a month. We would
like to do things legally. He has a
USA visa. However, I’ve been reading
that it may not be wise for us to marry
on his first visit here. Since it a
tourist visa and it could look
suspicious if we get married We jyst
want to do things the right legal way

Asked on May 24, 2017 under Immigration Law, Ohio


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You only need to get married in one place; one marriage is valid everywhere and there is no need to do it twice in both places.  Where you get married is a matter of preference for you and also will determine somewhat which visa to obtain.  If he plans to reside most of the time in the US and would like to get a green card, you can either petition for him as a fiance, marry him outside the US and petition for him as a spouse.  It is possible in some instances to also get married in the US and complete the process all within the US but for that it is best to consult with an immigration attorney first to understand the various issues involved and how to strategize.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.