If I’m in the US on a visa, how will marrying a green card holder affect my status if my visa is about to expire?

I came to the US on tourist B2 visa a year ago and stayed here for a year (I extended my B2 visa once). Next week, my status will expire, however, I’m planning to get married 4 days before that. My future husband is a green card holder. Will I have any problems with immigration? Will my marriage let me stay in the US legally?

Asked on November 6, 2011 under Immigration Law, Florida


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

No, marrying a green card holder will not give you any immediate immigration benefits nor will it preserve your status in the US.  You will be out of status and starting to accrue unlawful presence time as soon as your I-94 expires.  Once you are unlawfully present, you will ONLY be eligible to apply for permanent residence on the basis of marriage ONCE your spouse becomes a US citizen.  Depending on when he became a permanent resident, that can still be up to 5 years from  now.  During all that time, you will be unlawfully present and subject to removal from the US.  You will not be eligible for employment authorization, driver's license, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.