Marital property distribution

My wife filed for divorce and we have agreed on the major assets in court but we have not reached an agreement on personal marital property. We are both living in the house for 30 days and then she is to move out. We have quite a few antiques that were purchased during the course of marriage. What recourse do I have if she packs those up and removes them from the house before we agree on who gets what?

Asked on June 26, 2009 under Family Law, Tennessee


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to request that the court "equitably" divide, distribute, or assign the marital property between you and your wife before she leaves with the antiques.

Just in case she leaves with the antiques, and to allow the court to make a determination, make sure (before she leaves) to collect all the information you can about the antiques, including purchase dates, values, etc.

Even if you don't get a court decision before she moves, you will have all the information to give the judge so he/she can make a determination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.