making payment’s on hospital bill, but they still sent me to collection’s can they send you to collection’seven though you are making payment’s?

I have been making $50.00 a month payments on my hospital bill.They called and want me to make arrangements to pay more, I told them I can’t afford what they want me to pay and I would continue to make monthly payments and when I can afford to pay More I would. They keep calling and trying to make payment arrangements and my statements say if I don’t pay in full I will be sent to collection’s They are not willing to make arrangements for me to pay what I can afford,it has to be their amount or go to collection’s I thought if you make an effort to pay you cant be sent to collection’s

Asked on June 17, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do not have a lot of control here and cannot prevent the hospital to sending the account to collections.  However, once it is in collections you can negotiate for a settlement.  I think you have the right idea about paying it down and then making a payment in full when you have the money.  Wait till the collection agency calls and then you can make a deal.  Explaint that you are going to file BK and that if they want to get paid, they should work with you.  Otherwise, tell them to get in line with the rest of the unsecured creditors that will get nothing when you file BK.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.