What can I do if I made a purchase from rental company received receipt which states paid in full and now company states payment was never received?

It requests payment or return of merchandise. Is this legal?

Asked on September 2, 2014 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


Maury Beaulier / MinnesotaLawyers.com

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It is not illegal, though it may be an error.  If you have a receipt proving payment, that would be valid evidence in court should they seek to collect on a debt already paid.  If the check was lost, it may have to be reissued with the company paying any additional charges for the cancelled check. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.