What can I do if I made a offer on a house and received an email saying offer was accepted but ow they are saying they will not pay closing costs?

Plus, they have cashed our checks for the earnest money. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that given the uncertain situation that you are in that you consult with a real estate attorney to assist you in your matter. Under the laws of all states in this country for an offer to be accepted as part of a valid contract an e mail does not suffice. Rather the offer has to be signed by the seller on exact terms submitted.

The cashing of your checks as part of the deposit suggests the intent to sell the property to you but the refusal to pay the closing costs that you wanted does not suggest that you are in contract.

From what you have written, it seems that you do not have a real estate agent, real estate attorney nor a formal escrow established as to the property that you wish to buy. Failure to have such suggests problems for you down the road with the sellers. 



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.