If I just found out that I was the victim of medicial malpractice, can I now sue 7 years later?

Long story short, 7 years ago I had an ectopic pregnancy so had to have my left a portion of my leaft Fallopian tube removed. Then, 4 months following, I had a golf ball size cyst burst on my right ovary requiring removal of the cyst, debris and a portion of the tube. Then, 2 weeks ago, I went in to have more cysts removed from the right ovary. During a CT, ultrasound and then a hysteroscopy, it was found that there is no left ovary, only a shriveled remnant of one. This was caused because when the pregnancy was removed, the blood supply was never properly reattached to the ovary. Basically, it was there 7 years ago but now is dead. As stated I only found out this information 2 weeks ago. Do I have any legal options?

Asked on October 7, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Maine


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Generally if you do not know, nor should you have known, about the malpractice that will toll the statute of limitations.  Were you trying to get pregant during this 7-year period and failing?  Were you hoping to get pregnant in the future?  If not, what are your damages, if any?  You should consult with a local medical malpractice attorney.  The initial consultation should be free.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.