What to do about a long expired green card and an unknown A number?

A relative by marriage wants to clean up his immigration status. He was brought to this country by his mother when he was in his teens (a minor). I am told that he was issued a green card but his mother never gave it to him, so he probably does not know his A number. He is now in his thirties. What is his best course for finding out a) whether or not he really ever was issued a green card; b) what his A number is; and c) how to renew it with the lowest risk of getting deported if it turns out that something is not in order? What can he do on his own before hiring a lawyer?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

He should talk to his mother to begin with.  If she legalized his status or presumably did so, then that would be the first place to check.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.