If there were multiple raised manholes in a friend’s neighborhood and I hit one and totaled my car, what are my options?

I was driving my car and avoiding all of them except for one I did not see, as it was dark. It caused damages to the point of totaling my car. I wish to seek compensation from the city. Do I have a case? How can I proceed from here?

Asked on February 9, 2016 under Accident Law, West Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can file a claim with the city for the damage to your car.  Be sure to follow all of their procedures and not miss any filing deadlines or your claim will be denied and you will not be able to file a lawsuit against the city.
If you follow all of the procedures for filing a claim against the city and don't miss any filing deadlines, but the city denies the claim, you can  then file a lawsuit against the city.  Again, don't miss the filing deadline for filing a lawsuit or your claim will be barred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.