LLC or Trust?

I am thinking of setting up an LLC mainly as a vehicle to my business as a writer publisher. I am not making much but enough every year to consider the fact that this money would keep coming even after my demise. My daughter is 11 and my wife is my CPA. I have no attorney at the moment and frankly I cannot afford their fees. Much of what I need I can do via nolo or a paralegal but I would pay someone for some clear and concise practical advise pertaining my individual situation. So what is better a LLC or a Trust for a small operator like me? I just want to maintain continual flow of income.

Asked on June 5, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, a trust for all intents and purposes is an estate planning mechanism or a mechanism designed to hold assets of a person who is a minor or simply not competent to take care of his or her affairs.

For business purposes, most people operate under a limited liability company of a corporation (S or a C corporation).

As to whether you should have a limited liability company or a corporation for your vehicle to operate your business, you should consult with your accountant for his or her recommendation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.