As a divorced woman, am I entitled to any part of the compensation that my ex-husband was awarded for an injury that he received during our marriage?

He has just settled the case.

Asked on June 13, 2014 under Personal Injury, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You should call your divorce attorney because really this issue should have been negotiated as part of your settlement of divorce.  It really depends on many factors: are you named as well for loss of services claim (which brings up a whole set of issues)? How was the award phrased?  In some states it is considered separate property but it is my understanding that in Illinois it is considered an asset of the marriage.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.