Can a court hold a non-custodial parent in contempt of court if he does not take his 15 year old daughter to her volunteer job during his week?

The question of contempt of court keeps being thrown in my husband’s face by his ex. Need to know if my husband has a leg to stand on. She volunteers from 7:30 am – 5:30 pm, Mon – Fri? Of course in these economic climate, my husband who has been laid off twice does not want to jeopardize his job in any way. Also, is there some child labor issues here pertaining to her hours. Her mom signed her up for it to keep her out of trouble presumably and because her 5 year old kid goes there for daycare. Also, can she also force him to take their 17 year old who doesn’t drive to her life guarding job ?

Asked on June 28, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless there is a standing court order stating that your husband has to take his fifteen (15) year old daughter literally to her volunteer job during the week he has her he cannot be held in contempt of a court order for the simple fact that there is not one in effect.

Given the circumstances that you are writing about, your husband should consider consulting with a family law attorney to assist in dealing with the situation that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.