live in home with bf for 4 yrs in De. his mom died, no will, bf and i have a child, bf is now jail, i pay all bills and taxes,my rights to house,

I pay all bills and taxes. what are my right as a squatter?

Asked on May 23, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Delaware


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You have no rights.  If the house is a house and not a rental and owned by mother, and the mother alone, then title goes to son, regardless if he is in jail or not.  Now, does boyfriend allow you to live there? You have a child with him? Is he leaving jail soon and getting his act together? Obviously he doesn't support you now, correct?

So, you have to ask yourself:

1. Do you intend on continuing a romantic relationship with him?

2. If you are, have you spoken to him and what does he say about you living there?

3. By paying the bills, what do you mean? Is there a mortgage?

4. If you do not intend on continuing a romantic relationship with him, have you considered moving into your own place?


Think about the questions above, get the answers you need and then make your decision from there.  But you have no right as a "squatter". 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.