Lis Pendns on my property. Tenants rec copy of sumns and have refused to pay rent.What are their rights/ What are landl right. workin on loan modifica

Asked on July 3, 2009 under Real Estate Law, New York


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this area of the law.  If your tenant are not paying thier rent the landlord has the absolute right to evict them from the property.  Simply becasue the property is in foreclosure, that does not obviate the tenants requirement to pay the rent.  I suggest sending them a letter to that effect.  If the tenats still fail to pay then i suggest that you move to evict them from the property.  Continue to work on the loan modification and if the you need to, you should find a new tenant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.