What to do if my co-owner owner owes money and now their creditor has had a lien filed against our property?

I own a property jointly with my father. He has a lien against him on this property. The lien has nothing to do with myself. The person that has this lien will not respond to the real estate agents or attorneys involved in this transaction regarding settlement. There is an offer on this property but because of this person I am being forced into foreclosure. Do I as an innocent party in his lien have any legal recourse?

Asked on December 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to realize that the lien only goes to your father's interest in the property and not your own interest, however the lien most likely has an impact upon you financially.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney to assist in helping you get the lien recorded on the jointly owned property you are writing about resolved so as to save the property from a foreclosure. Perhaps monthy installments to the judgment creditor by your father may help resolve the situation assuming he can afford a stated amount.

Possibly a motion to expunge the lien might be an option, but an experienced real estate attorney will need to be consulted for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.