Liberty Title & Escrow

When trying to do a short sale on villa we found Liberty Title & Escrow have recorded the deeds wrong and left the old owners on, so it still looks like they own 23% we have to get there names removed before we sell, i’ve tryed to get hold of the old owners but i think the’ve moved i need this sorted out as soon as possible but don’t know how, i live in uk.

Asked on June 25, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

My understanding of the question is that the new deed was incorrectly prepared.  Who prepared it? Did you do an actual closing when the new deed was prepared? Did you have an attorney representing you?  Do you have any paperwork that would show that they were to be taken off and you were to be the sole owner (like a contract of sale)?  Armed with any paperwork you may have first contact your attorney and then the Title company.  A corrected deed will have to be prepared but it may take some time to sort it out.  The Florida attorney and/or the Title company will be able to tell you how to proceed in this situation and what Florida Law requires.  I would start there but you may need to hire an attorney to help you sort it out.  Try looking here at Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.