What to do if my insurer is denying my cancer claim because of an answer that I gave to a question?

They asked me was I awaiting any medical test results and I was not I had a poly removed that resulted in being tested positive for cancer, however I was not aware the polyp was being tested. I am a 35 year old very healthy young lady and never had a polyp or any other health issues for that matter. I am at home recovering on low disability income. I am getting now where with trying to represent myself with the agency. I cannot afford to hire a private attorney. Is there any affordable legal representation for a person in my situation?

Asked on August 28, 2014 under Insurance Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

There is no guaranty that you will find free or low-cost legal representation, but possible sources to look to include:

Legal Services (you can find their local contact information by "Googling" them)--this is an organization which exists to provide free legal services to people who cannot afford lawyers. Their resources are limited however, so they often have to turn away cases; however, their attorneys are good, and they are always worth a call.

Your state and/or city bar (lawyer's) associations may be able to help you find an attorney who will  take the case on a pro bono (charity) basis.

You can contact local law schools; sometimes they have "clinics" where law students, under their professors' guidance, provide legal assistance.

If you can't find a lawyer you help you and your insurer refuses to reconsider, you have the option of filing a lawsuit for breach of contract (not providing the insurance they agreed to pay and for which you paid them) for denying your claim; you can represent yourself "pro se," or as your own attorney, which is not the recommended way--but it *is* an option if you cannot get anyone to help you. In such a suit, you would seek a court order forcing them to provide coverage.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.