If my doctor is sending me threatening messages to sue me for defamation and

libel for an online review he is unhappy with, do I need a lawyer?

He claims that I wrote it based on previous messages with me. However, I do not have any reviews under my account and thus no ability to remove any such review. I advised the doctor to reach out to the website ratemd to remove it, but he insists that I reach out to ratemd to remove it. Judging by the lack of negative reviews on his profile, I have a feeling he threatens to sue anyone that doesn’t take down a negative review.

Asked on February 10, 2017 under Personal Injury, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If he actually does sue you, then you will need an attorney. In the meantime, provide evidence to the doctor that there are no negative reviews under you account (e.g. screenshots of the account) and ask him in writing to show you proof or evidence of the negative review that he claims is yours, since you are not aware of any negative reviews, and assure him in writing that if any such review is found to be under your account, you will direct that it be removed. That is all you can, or need, to do at this juncture.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.