Liability for damage to a taxi that I was driving for an owner

I am self employed by a person who owns several taxis to drive for her. The taxi
broke down and another taxi was sent to tow me , however the cars collided as it
was being towed and both cars were damaged. The owner wants me to pay for
repairs which I do not know the cost of as yet. Should her insurance not cover this
and am I legally obliged to pay .

Asked on March 31, 2017 under Accident Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) It doesn't matter if someone's insurance *should* cover a damage or a loss: they do not have to submit a claim, and are allowed to sue an at-fault person.
2) They key issue is: were you at-fault? That is, did you cause the accident or damage through unreasonable carelessness ("negligence") or not? If you were at fault, you can be held liable and have to pay (e.g. she could sue you and likely win); but if you were not at fault in causing the damage, you legally would not have to pay.
3) The above said, unless you have an employment contract guarantying you work, she could elect to stop employing you if she wants you to pay for her damage and you refuse to: that would be legal, since without a contract, she can elect to stop employing you for any reason whatsoever.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.