Can I legally change my son’s name without father’s consent?

I have sold legal and physical custody of my son. His father has no visitation per order if the court. His father has not seen him or paid child support in 5 years. My son is entering kindergarten and assumes his last name is the same as mine.

Asked on March 9, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.