If the legal father not the biological father, how would I have his name removed from birth certificate?

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your question isn't exactly clear... but if a birth certificate alleges the name of a person who is not actually the father of a child, then it's possible to get the birth certificate corrected through what is called a "suit affecting parent/child relationship."  This is also called a SAPCR.  Many people call this type of suit a "custody suit" or "paternity suit."  The purpose of the suit is the have the courts officially declare one person dad.  Generally, the person listed on the birth certificate is a presumed biological father.  If it is later determined that another person is dad, then the courts can order a name change for the child and authorize an amendment to the birth certificate through the SAPCR proceedings.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.