legal answer to collector and court

how does one form a legal answer to the court and the lawyer representing the creditor owed the money, upon receipt of a summons for an answer within twenty days?

Asked on June 10, 2009 under Business Law, Massachusetts


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

the answer is basically whatever you want to respond. If you owe the debt than really there is not much of an answer. Sometimes it may be a dispute of amount, a dispute to owing at all, an answer depends on the circumstances but is really nothing more than your response to their claims.

I am not admitted in MA so not sure but oftentimes there is a form sent with the summons for you to answer on. If not you can just write it or type it up and return to the address indicated withint the correct time frame.

You also can contact the creditors attorney to settle if you admit owing the debt or say that on the answer you submit

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.