If I hit an out of use parking meter and it fell, does this qualify as leaving the scene of an accident?

If so, how much trouble would be getting into? I had read somewhere that if the property damage is less then $1,500 you are not required to file a police report as long as the vehicle you were driving has insurance.

Asked on September 19, 2011 under Accident Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Some where where?  It is my understanding that every accident - one car, two car, car and pedestrian - requires that you file a police report even if there is no damage. And even if the parking meter was non-functioning it was probably  city property, correct?  then I think that the city might be a bit upset about things here.  And yes it could indeed qualify as leaving the scene of an accident.  I would try and file a belated report.  And you need to file with your insurance company as well, who may be a bit upset with you for leaving before the police were called and came.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.