Leaving the country on Juvenile Probation

hello. I am 16 years old and was placed on 1 year probation 1 week ago for theft of 1300 dollars, i was very lucky they went easy on me. I have yet to receive a letter from the PO. I have always went to my home country Russia in the summer for 2 months to visit all of my family and work for my aunt. I already got the plane ticket and everything. I am afraid that my actions in the past have jeopardized everything. I was wondering if it is even possible for my PO to let me go, or if he doesnt then can i ask an attorney or the court for help? BTW if it does make a difference i have never done any

Asked on May 31, 2009 under Criminal Law, New Jersey


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can ask, but I wouldn't be hopeful.  The probation department probably doesn't much care about what you've planned or the plane tickets.  You may have to skip that this summer.

I can't give you firm advice without all of the facts, and there may be something that you haven't mentioned that might help.  So you need to talk to an attorney in your area, for the best advice about your options.  One place to find a lawyer is http://goallineblitz.com/game/player.pl?player_id=947160

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.