IfIused a company credit card to pay for a domain thatI set up in my own name, if I leave my employer who owns it?

I am leaving my family business. I have worked in it for 10 years. There are no restrictions on me such as a non-compete agreement or anything else. I would like to make sure I make a clean split and don’t have any chance of setting myself up for any potential legal action. My main question is regarding the company domain registration. I set the domain up under my name roughly 10 years ago. No involvement with the company. I have used a company credit card to pay the bills for more years than not. I recently started paying it with personal funds. If contested do I retain ownership?

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Never mind the ownership issue - which I understand your concern about and I believe that there may in fact be a problem with the entire ownership issue given the facts as you have presented them here - I am worried that you could be charged with embezzlement of the company funds.  I would speak with an attorney in your area before you make the "clean split" here as I think that it will not be clean in any sense of the word unless these issues are resolved.  Please.  Heed my advice.  Otherwise  you face not only business problems but personal ones as well.  You need to formulate a plan for repayment should that be the solution. Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.