Lawyer has released one check, once deposited can i get the money.

Mother passed away unexpectedly and the
company she shared ownership of the
house with bought me out of her share.
Lawyer released that check and its been
deposited. Can i withdrawl any of it
while the probate is still in process?

Asked on March 14, 2018 under Estate Planning, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am assuming ehre that you are the Executor of the estate and this guidance is given based upon that assumption. So what you are asking is if you can make a partial distribution of the estate.  The answer is maybe, so long as there is enough to cover debts and taxes if applicable. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.