Is there was a way a minor could stay with me and use my address without my being their legal guardian?

Last year I took 2 boys in as their legal guardian so they could have a place to sleep and an address to go to school. This year 1 of the boys is asking to stay with me again. I really want to help him but the stress I had knowing I was legally responsible for someone else’s children was almost unbearable.

Asked on August 1, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


Maury Beaulier /

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You are always responsinble for care you provide and any negligence can result in liability.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.