If I got a DUI / DWI after being pulled over for speeding, what can I do to make this go as smoothly as possible and get the best ruling?

I was doing 85 in a 65 zone. After I got pulled over the PO smelled the alcohol in empty cans on the backseat. He then gave me a roadside test, initial breathalyzer and balance test which I failed some part of. After that he handcuffed me and brought me to jail; there I blew a .10. I was wondering how bad this is for me? I don’t know what is on my record ATM, it’s been over 5 years since my last speeding ticket. Should lI awyer up or stick with the PD and hope for best? What laws should I check that might help me get a better outcome?

Asked on March 23, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Since you have been charged with a DUI, it is a misdemeanor in your state where you could be fined in excess of $1,000 or jailed up to 6 months or both if convicted. You will also lose your driver's license if convicted as well. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the matter that you are writing about. Possibly the attorney could get the charge as to you reduced to a wet reckless

Getting an attorney to represent you will assist in getting the criminal proceeding against you to go smoother than if you are representing yourself.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.