What can I do if large chunks of ice slid off my apartment roof and seriously damaged my car which was parked in my designated parking spot?

My landlord was very sorry, took full responsibility and tried to file a claim with his home owners insurance. His insurance said he was not liable and I had to file with my auto. What can I do? I need my car ASAP. I can’t afford my $1000 deductible. I feel it is the fault of my landlord but I don’t know how to proceed.

Asked on March 6, 2015 under Accident Law, New Hampshire


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the landlord for negligence for not removing the ice, and seek to recover compensation for the property damage (cost of repairs) to your car including your $1000 deductible.

You may be able to file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  If you win, you can recover court costs which would include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.