What to do about a lapse in insurance coverage?

I had a lapse in insurance coverage on a boat I own. It’s now insured but the lender wants to make me pay for the 7 months I didn’t have insurance and it’s like 11x higher than what I’m paying. Is that legal?

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Insurance Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

My sentiment is that the lender is required to provide you written documentation as to why you need to pay for insurance that lapsed which was reinstated and to whom would any such payments be made to unless the insurance provider would reinstate the policy for those seven (7) months that lapsed. Whether or not the demand is legal depends upon what the loan agreement that you have for the boat states.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.