What do I do if my landlord won’t give me back my deposit?

I moved out 2 months ago and my landlord just ignores me and does not want to give me my deposit back. There was no damage to the property, only dirty spots on the walls and carpet. I lived there for 3 years. For the first year we had a contract but not for the other 2. I took pictures when I moved out. What should I do?

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your former landlord refuses to return to you your security deposit, you should do the following:

1. write him or her one last letter demanding its return by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future reference.

2. if you do not receive the return of the security deposit by the demanded date, your option is to file a small claims action against him or her for the return of your security deposit with accrued interest and any statutory penalty.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.