What to do if my landlord sent me part of my security deposit back within 30 days, but did not send an itemized list until 2 months after my move out date?

Before 30 days after my move out date my landlord sent me a check for part of my security deposit. Three weeks later I sent him a demand letter asking for the rest of my deposit due to the fact that he did not send a list within the 30 day period. The landlord responded by having pictures of when I moved out and an itemized report. (mostly cleaning and touch-ups). Does it matter that he now has an itemized list? Or is it more important that within 30 days of moving out he returned part of a security deposit without an report list of charges?

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you disagree with the debit from your secuirty deposit that you received within thirty (30) days of move out, then your receipt of the itemization for the debit well beyond the thirty (30) day period is a big deal since it is in violation of your state's statute on the subject.

However, if you agree with the debit from your security deposit, then the late itemization is not an issue from what you have written.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.