What to do if my landlord says that I can’t have my younger siblings over on the week-end?

Why not? I would certainlybe able to understand his rule if they were a disturbance or caused any damage to the house but they do not. He knew in prior months that they stayed over on weekends because he has dropped by one night and they were there. He also told me that if I have an issue with his rule than I can be evicted because he has come over on occasion and smelled pot in the house which is not true. I am overwhelmed by this situation and I am thinking about breaking my lease.

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can not break the lease unless either the court allows it or you and the landlord agree.  And he can not restrict you from having guests.  So maybe a discussion with him as to the matter is what you need to have.  Tell him that you have a right to guests under the law and he can not restrict family.  And that he can not make allegations of illegal activity against you that are baseless under the law.  It is your iintent to have your family over and if that is a problem maybe you should agree to terminate the lease early with out any repercussions to you.  Make sure you have a written agreement to terminate signed by both of you and that you do a walk through and you do not lose your security.  Having a lawyer look at it is always a good idea.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.