What is the law regarding the return of a security deposit?

I sent my tenant an itemized list of deductions from her security deposit. However, I sent it 1 week late because my young child was in the hospital multiple times this summer. Is there an exception to the 30-day limit for medical reasons?

Asked on December 6, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for the health problems of your son.  I hope that things are getting better.  The Landlord Tenant act governs the issue of security deposits in Pennsylvania. That law can be very harsh and rigid.  Violating the law may result in a landlord paying twice the amount of the security deposit in damages.  So I think it may be in your best interest to speak with an attorney in your are on the matter OR to try and negotiate a settlement with the former tenant.  Listen, I think that even the harshest of Judges take in to account personal tragedy's in all types of cases.  It is just how much flexibility the Judge has in this matter that you need to find out.  It may be a well placed few dollars for a consultation fee.  Good luck

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.