What can I do if my landlord destroyed over $15,000 worth of my property?

My boyfriend was recently evicted. In his home, was a spare living room set of mine I didn’t need and allowed him to borrow, as well as furniture of mine which he used to furnish a spare room. I also had clothing and other miscellaneous items there. Landlord told him he had 30 days to remove all property after vacate date. He removed his things and left mine behind with the assumption I was arranging pickup within the 30 day window. I called 2 days after vacate date to do so and the landlord informed me he had thrown out everything and was not required to store because I was not a legal tenant.

Asked on June 29, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a landlord is not allowed to dispose of a former tenant's property without giving written notice of his or her intent post move out of the tenant. If the property left behind is worth less than $300 collectively, the landlord after proper written notice to the former tenant can dispose of the items any way he or she chooses.

However, if the property is worth more than $300.00 collectively, the landlord must give written notice of the intent to dispose and then hold an auction where the property is then auctioned off and the money is then given to the sheriff.

From what you have written, the landlord owes you the fair market value of the wrongfully disposed articles. I suggest that you send him or her a written demand letter for your damages. keep a copy of the letter for future use and need.

If you do not receive the response you desire by the demanded date, you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney about your legal options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.