What to do if my landlord is assigning an opposite gender roommate in my apartment?

My daughter is in a private company apartment complex that caters to students and pairs roommates. My daughter’s female roommate is moving out and all indications are that a male roommate is being assigned the to soon to be vacated bed space. The contract is gender neutral as to who can be assigned using the term “roommate”. Is there anyway I can block a male from being assigned to my daughter’s apartment? A female replacement would be acceptable but on religious grounds we strenuously object to a male. What recourse do we have?

Asked on March 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.