What to do about lack of insulation, severe dry rot and insufficient/improper septic system, none of which was found or reported by the inspector?

The realtor recommended the inspector. This is now becoming a health issue for my family inside and outside of the house. We are also enrolled in a mortgage modification program with the bank, which at this point considering the condition of the home and property. We are hoping won’t go through and we can get out of here. How do we get out of here?

Asked on January 13, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the clear deficiencies with respect to the unit you bought under the Uniform Building Code adopted in part by most townships in this country, I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney as to legal recourse against all third party inspectors that you relied upon as well as the sellers themselves possibly for damages that you sustained over the unit's purchase.

The measure of damages would be the lesser of the costs of repair currently or the diminution in value at close of escrow.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.