How to revoke keyman insurance?

My former manager (music industry) is the irrevocable beneficiary of a life insurance policy I own. However now that we have parted ways, he refuses to sign to have it cancelled and would like to use the policy as collateral until the repayment plan we’ve arranged is complete. I am not comfortable with that arrangement for obvious reasons. What are my options?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Insurance Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You may not have many options here.  Irrevocable beneficiaries mean that you have to have his permission to change the beneficiary.  You can always bring the issue up before the court - hey, this is America - in a proceeding to force him to sign over the policy to you or to some one else.  But given the little facts that you have written here it appears that he wants that policy as insurance that he will in fact get paid.  It is unclear whether or not you have formally memorialized the repayment plan but it may be a good idea to have this all in writing and to speak with your attorney.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.