If I just started working for the federal government, is it legal for them to pay me less than what was offered on my final emplyment offer letter?

I also checked with their civilian personnel office before my start date to confirm the amount was correct. They verified it was and sent me the confirmation in an email. On my start day, the amount was also noted on my employee file.

Asked on July 16, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It depends on the wording of the final employment letter and what you signed with the government.  You may have a valid claim to an increase in pay and back pay at the rate that you were shown in the letter. 

I would recommend that you contact the law office of Steven Brown.  He specializes in representing Federal employees. 

His website is: http://www.federal-law.com/


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.