What to do if I just received a “Notice of Entry of Judgement”?

It states that the judgement creates a judgement lien which attaches a debt for the payment of money to the real property of the judgment debtor who is identified in the document. What does this mean? I don’t own property other than a vehicle which I use to get to work. I am willing to pay money per month, but the debt collection company said last year that they were still taking me to court even if I began paying them a monthly amount of money. I don’t know who I should call to ask questions since the collection agency doesn’t want to work with me. I am very unfamiliar with these situations. What about bankruptcy?

Asked on January 30, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a consumer law attorney about the the matter that you have written about that has experience in bankruptcy matters. Assuming that the judgment is substantial, more than $15,000, a bankruptcy filing may be the best way to eliminate the judgment against you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.