If I just learned that 2 years ago I was misdiagnosed with bilateral proximal tubal occlusion and this has caused mental, and emotional pain, what can I do?

Asked on October 9, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If "all" you suffered was mental and emotional pain, you likely are not entitled to any recovery; as a general rule, even though such pain is real, the legal system does not allow compensation for it when the injury was caused by simple negligence, including malpractice--generally, there would have to have been an intentional bad act, such as an effort to harm you mentally or emotionally, to get compensation for this sort of non-physical injury. You can, of course, report the care provider who made the misdiagnosis to the state agency or board which licenses doctors.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.