What can happen if a judgment is entered against you?

My autistic adult has been summoned to court for a small credit card debt. He has never worked, does not drive or own a vehicle, and he owns no property.If a judgement is entered against him, what will that mean for him?He does receive SSI. He lives in my home and I provide his support.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your autistic son has been served with a summons and complaint concerning an alleged obligation owed concerning a credit card debt and if he fails to appear in court, most likely a default judgment will be entered against him. If a judgment is entered against him, the judgment creditor then has the task of trying to get the debt paid.

Ways to get the debt paid is for the judgment creditor to levy upon bank accounts and other assets that your son may have.

If your son owes the debt claimed by the credit card company. I suggest that you contact it and work out a pay off schedule for it signed by its representative and make monthly payments until it is paid in full.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.