What to do ifIpaid and satisfied a judgement 4 years ago but the attorney’s office never filed a satisfaction of judgement with the court?

Are they legally obligated to file? If so, what are my rights and what actions can I take? Can they file and date the form satisfied as of 4 years ago?

Asked on February 28, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Minnesota


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you satisfied a judgment against you and the entity or agency who was supposed to file the proper paperwork did not, you are responsible for mitigating your own damages. If you just found out the satisfaction of judgment was not filed, then you need to file the proper motion in court showing proof of payment and receipt and hopefully that will help. Review your credit reports (you get a free one each year from the three credit reporting agencies), and see if you can dispute it there. If you file suit, you need to see if the entity is immune from suit or at the very least if you have any quantifiable damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.