Do I have any options to ensure that I will not be responsible for more than the rent for my room?

I want to rent a single room in a shared house and the landlord sent a group lease saying that all tenants are

Asked on September 1, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you don't have any options if the landlord will not let you have the addendum you want--and note: I do landlord-tenant law for a living and have *never* seen a landlord who is willing to only hold a tenant liable for his/her share of the rent. Consider it from the landlord's point of view: if your roommates fail to pay but you pay your share, under your proposal, the landlord would be unable to evict you and re-let the house in its entirety. Rather, he'd have to let you stay and essentially have the whole house to yourself even if you are just paying a fraction of the rent. That is unreasonable, and no landlord will do it. This is a risk of sharing a house with roommates--being liable for their default.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.