Does an employer legally have to give a notice before transfrering you to a new work place 2.6 miles away?

This employer knows I have no transportation to this new work place. I was also only given a ten hour notice I had to work at a new place tonight. My district manager told me I deserve a 24 hour notice, but my manager only gave me ten hours. I know I have the legal right to refuse the transfer. If I chose to do so I was told I’d be lucky to receive 5 hours of work a month. What, if any, legal actions can I take?

Asked on October 27, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The following answer applies if you do not have an employment contract; if you do, the terms and conditions of the contract, vis-a-vis notice, hours, location, etc. will apply.

1) There is no legal right to refuse the transfer; or rather, you can refuse it, but your employer may terminate, suspend, demote, reduce hours, etc. you. You have no right to refuse and keep your job.

2) Whether or not you deserve 24 hours notice or not, there is no obligation in the law to provide it, and no minimum notice required.

3) The employer is not required to care about whether you have transportation or not. The employer can transfer you to a new location and you have to figure out how to get there. *Sometimes*, if the transfer is very far--50, 60 miles far, for example--you may have the right to quit while collecting unemployment because you were

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.