Job termination

My husband and I had a dispute a few months back in which the cops where called and he spent a few hours in jail. He’s since retained a lawyer and had the charges reduced to a misdemeanor with case dismissal after 6 months and 6 months unsupervised probation. When his employer got word of situation, he was ordered to take a leave of absence until the case was closed or dismissed. Unfortunately, after the court proceedings he was terminated from his job. He’s a hard worker and was a manager at his company. He made exceptional numbers and trained many teams with how to reach their sales goals. With this case having nothing to do with his company, was he wrongfully terminated?

Asked on June 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless this termination constitutes some form of legally actionable discrimination or violates the terms of a uinion agreement/employment contract it is perfectly permissable . While arguably unfair, it is legal. The factis that most employment relationships are "at will" which means that an employer can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This inlcudes dismissing an employee due to a criminal conviction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.