J1 Visa

Currently I am on J1 visa pursuing my PHD in mechanical engineering. I wanted to
know if I can do Postdoc on J1 visa after completing my PHD program.

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Immigration Law, Colorado


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

If you can get a post doc with an organizatio or university that is a J-1 sponsor then probably you will be able to.  However, it is difficult to answer that theoretically; you need to discuss that with the specific organiation where you plan to do the postdoc research.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.